Top 5 Things You Need to Know Following an Airplane Accident
The aftermath of an airplane or helicopter crash is unchartered territory for most people. At Curry, Pearson & Wooten, we have represented families who have lost loved ones in catastrophic aviation accidents and understand that you have questions. That is why we have created a list of the top 5 things you need to know after an airplane accident.
1. Aviation law is different. Many people do not realize that aviation law is not the same as other types of personal injury law. There are many regulations regarding the aviation industry, often international law and treaties, and federal entities, such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), often get involved.
2. The time period to file a lawsuit is short. Unfortunately, time is not on your side after an airplane or helicopter accident. The deadline to file a claim is typically six months to two years after the event.
3. You could be entitled to compensation. Depending on the details of the case, the passengers, surviving family members, pilots, and people who were on the ground at the time of the accident may be able to recover damages.
4. The airline might not be the only one liable. There are typically many factors involved in aviation crashes. Therefore, the airline might not be the only responsible party. The flight crew, manufacturer, maintenance personnel, airport operator, and air traffic controller also could be held liable.
5. The attorney you choose is crucial. Since aviation law is so complex, not every lawyer is equipped to handle these cases. You need to ensure that an experienced airplane accident attorney with a strong background and track record represents you.
For more information or answers to your questions, contact our office today at 602-258-1000 or toll free at 1-888-9AZLAWCOM (888-929-5292). We will provide you with a free case evaluation.
Order a FREE copy of our book.
When an aviation accident impacts the life of your loved one, you have some difficult decisions to make. How do you know what step to take first?
One wrong decision can impact your family's future. That is why it is imperative that you order a FREE copy of airplane accident lawyer Michael Pearson's book, When an Accident Happens or the FAA Investigates You . The book discusses the crucial steps that need to be taken after an aviation accident.